What is an Australian ETA?
If you are planning a holiday visit or a short business trip to Australia, you will need to apply for either a visa or an ETA (Electronic Travel Authority). The Australian ETA is equivalent to a visa, but there is no stamp or label in your passport. Once the visa is granted there is no need to visit an Australian diplomatic office to receive a stamp or label. An Australian ETA visa is attached to the passport details you provide.
The Australian ETA is
- electronic; no stamp is ever required or given
- valid for up to 3 months once you arrive in Australia
- multiple entry
- required by every member of the family/group travelling to Australia
- come in two forms; tourist and business
- business ETA's are for those attending business meetings and conference
The Australian ETA is NOT
- a work visa - work of any kind is not permitted
- available to everyone; please check you are on the eligible countries tab
- a settlement visa; they are valid for 3 months only at a time