Help Section

Email or phone — no matter which medium you prefer, we’re always here to help.

IEC Visa
Leave the stress of the paperwork to us while you plan the fun parts of your Canadian adventure!
Book now
How long will it take after I have created my profile to get an Invitation to apply?
The Canadian Government (IEC) will offer places and this process can take up to 3-4 months.
How long will the whole process take?
Once fee has been paid the process should take between 6-8 weeks.
When can I book my flights?
USIT will reserve your flights and will collect a non-refundable deposit of €100. Your will have to pay in full according to the ticketing deadlines on your receipt.
What is Biometric data and where can I get it done?

Biometric data in the case of your IEC visa means your fingerprints and a photograph.

As of July 31st 2018 all Canada IEC applicants are required to submit Biometric data to the Canadian Immigration authorities before they can enter Canada.

Upon reaching the last stage of the application process applicants will be requested to attend by appointment only, the Embassy of Canada in Dublin and submit their Biometric data. There is an additional cost for this data to be collected, however this is already covered in the Visa cost you pay to USIT.

Applicants will only have 30 days from receiving the Biometric Collection Letter to attend the Embassy. Failure to attend the Embassy and submit this data will mean that your IEC visa will not be approved and you will have to pay for the visa again & resubmit all paperwork.

The appointments for the biometric data collection at the Embassy of Canada in Dublin can fill up very quickly, in this case you may be instructed to attend the VAC centre in London in order to have your visa processed within the 30 days limit.

All IEC applicants should be prepared to travel to London to complete this step if requested. Any expenses incurred due to travel required will be at the applicants own expense and is NOT covered with the USIT visa cost.

What happens after I miss the 28 / 30 day cut off for gathering all the information required?
You would need to start the whole process again and you may not be offered a place due to limited availability.
What happens after my visa is due to expire and I want to make amendments to my status?
Once your visa is issued no amendments can be made - this is a Canadian Government rule.
Does the Canadian government contact you all the time and then you contact me afterwards? If so, if I decide to go for permanent residency or temp visa while waiting for residency who do I contact?
No – this visa is not to be used a stepping stone to other visas however once you are in Canada we will put you in touch with an approved Canadian Immigration Consultant.
If I cannot get a police cert from another country in time, what is the procedure?
Unfortunately you will lose your place and you will need to start all over again.
Do I need a job offer to submit my International Experience Canada profile?
No, you don’t need a job offer to submit with your profile.
Can I participate in International Experience Canada more than once?

As an Irish citizen, you may participate in the Working Holiday category only once. If you meet the eligibility criteria, you may participate in IEC one more time through the International Co-op (Internship) category.

If you participated in IEC before 2013 for a period of up to 12 months, you are eligible for a second participation of up to 24 months in the category of your choice. Those who participated in IEC more than once before 2013 are no longer eligible to apply.

Is it possible to study in Canada while participating in IEC?
Yes. You are allowed to enrol in individual courses under any of the IEC categories. The course(s) must be completed within a six-month period. They also must not be part of a program lasting longer than six months, such as a two-year program or four-year degree. If the course or program is longer than six months, you will need to apply for a study permit.
If I’m a dual citizen, can I have an International Experience Canada work permit under each citizenship?
Yes. For example, you can get a work permit once as a citizen of the United Kingdom and a second time as an Irish citizen. To do this you need to have a valid passport issued by the country you're applying under, meet all of the eligibility criteria for this country, and provide a letter of explanation in your work permit application that says you are a dual citizen. Your other work permit is under your other country of citizenship.
How long does it take to get an International Experience Canada invitation to apply?
Working Holiday candidates could be in the pool for several weeks or months. IEC will randomly select candidates from the pool and invite them to apply for a work permit. All candidates in the pool have an equal chance of being invited. It is also possible that you will not receive an invitation to apply before the end of the season.
What do I do if I get a new passport after I apply for International Experience Canada?
It depends on where you are in the application process. Please check with your USIT Agent.
There is a mistake in my name on my work permit, can you fix it?
Yes. Your name on your work permit should be exactly as it is on your passport. Please advise your Agent.
Who needs a police certificate?

You must submit Garda Clearance Form with your application.

You may also need a police certificate from any country or territory that you have spent six months or more since the age of 18.

For example: if you visited, worked or lived in a country for two months, left for a few years, then returned for four months, that counts as spending six months there. In this case, you would need a certificate.

If you need a police certificate from a country or territory and are currently living there, or received the police certificate before leaving, the police certificate must be issued within six months before you apply.

If you have lived there in the past, the police certificate must be issued after you last lived in that country or territory.

For what jobs do you need a medical exam?

You may have to get a medical exam because of the type of job you want to do in Canada. Examples of such jobs are:

Jobs that bring you into close contact with people, such as: workers in the health sciences field, clinical laboratory workers, patient attendants in nursing and geriatric homes, medical students admitted to Canada to attend university medical electives and physicians on short-term locums. Teachers of primary or secondary schools, or other teachers of small children. Domestic workers who give in-home care to children, the elderly and the disabled. Day nursery employees and other similar jobs. Agricultural workers who have visited or lived in one of a selection of countries for more than six months during the past year.

What is a POE Letter?
It is the letter you will receive from IRCC if you have been approved for a work permit. It is sometimes called the Introduction or Introductory Letter. Officially, it is called the Port of Entry (POE) Letter of Introduction. The Letter of Introduction is not your study or work permit. Keep this letter. You must show this letter to officials at the port of entry when you arrive in Canada to get your study or work permit.
How long is my POE Letter valid?
Your Letter of Introduction will normally be valid for 12 months. If you underwent a medical exam, it will be valid until the expiry date of your medical exam or for 12 months, whichever is less.
My passport was lost or stolen after I received my POE Letter. Will my Letter of Introduction need to be modified?

No. If you must replace your passport after receiving your Port of Entry (POE) Letter of Introduction, your Letter of Introduction will not need to be modified. You must tell the Border Services Officer that your passport has been replaced when you arrive in Canada for the information on your work permit to match the information on your new passport.

If your passport was updated because you got married, please bring a photocopy of your wedding certificate with you to Canada. If your passport was updated because you got divorced, please bring proof of your divorce.

I can't get a bank statement before I come to Canada. What do I do?

International Experience Canada participants who can't get a bank statement may show the following as proof of funds when they arrive at a Canadian port of entry:

A letter on official letterhead from your banking institution, that is issued no more than one (1) week before your departure for Canada, clearly shows your account balance, is signed and preferably stamped. Bring the original letter provided by your banking institution, not a photocopy.

Can I come to Canada before I receive my POE Letter?

We strongly recommend you wait until you receive your Port of Entry (POE) Letter of Introduction before travelling to Canada. If you do not have your Letter of Introduction when you arrive at a Canadian port of entry, you will not get a work permit. The Border Services Officer will decide if you may be admitted as a visitor (tourist). As a visitor, you are not allowed to work.

If you are in Canada when you receive your Letter of Introduction, you must:

  • leave the country, and
  • re-enter at any port of entry to receive your work permit.

If you plan to leave and re-enter Canada through the United States, you must meet US immigration requirements. Contact the nearest US Embassy or Consulate to find out if you meet these requirements.

What type of insurance do I need for International Experience Canada?

For International Experience Canada, you must have health insurance for the entire time you are in Canada. The health insurance must cover medical care; hospitalization; and repatriation.

You may be refused entry if you don’t have insurance. If your insurance policy is valid for less time than your expected stay in Canada, you may be issued a work permit that expires at the same time as your insurance.

Can I extend my International Experience Canada work permit?
You can only extend your work permit in very specific situations. Please check with your USIT Agent.
What should I do if my employer wants me to continue working after my International Experience Canada work permit expires?
You can only extend your International Experience Canada work permit in very specific situations. For more details please check with your USIT Agent.
Can I change employers if I have an International Experience Canada work permit?
If you have a work permit under the Working Holiday category, you can change employers whenever you want or need to.
Can I stay in Canada as a tourist after my work permit expires?
You may be able to apply to change your status from “worker” to “visitor.” We consider tourists to be visitors. Read the Applying to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada guide to find out you’re eligible to change your status; and what you need to do to change your status. You need to apply at least 30 days before your work permit expires. There is no guarantee your application will be approved.
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn MoreOK