Not on the Premium programme? No problem! Here are some tips for where to search for jobs in great J1 locations.
Cape Cod is the perfect summer destination for any J1er! Turning into a busy holiday resort during the summer months means it’s got tonnes of seasonal jobs up for grabs! The Cape is a more diverse area of Western Massachusetts than expected. To get to Cape Cod, you will fly into Boston, which is only a short drive to The Cape. Spending your days off either on the beach or in the city, there’s plenty to see and do around here.
Don’t forget places like Nantucket and Marthas Vineyard – Both islands are a quick boat trip from Cape Cod!
* Search for the boat and harbor area companies. *
Companies to search when looking for your summer job in Cape Cod
- Whale Watch Dolphin Fleet, Provincetown, MA – Very top of the cape
- Ninety-Nine Restaurant and Pub, Falmouth, MA – Two restaurants located in tourist heavy areas of The Cape.
- Hyannis Whale Watcher Cruises, Hyannis, MA
- Nantucket Island Resorts, Nantucket, MA
- Melody Tent, Hyannis, MA
A well-known spot for the Irish abroad. For such a modern city, Boston holds its history close and you can see little snippets of the city’s history dotted throughout. Boston has a great variety of daytime activities, with its array of sporting grounds, cafes, and beautiful parks and Cape Cod not too far away there’s plenty to occupy your days off with. As Boston has 3 large universities, during the summer months the students have moved out. Making plenty of room and jobs for Irish students to occupy.
*Tips for where to look for jobs in Boston is the harbour area. Always seasonal jobs in the tour companies*
Companies to search when looking for your summer job in Boston
- Boston Harbour Cruises
- Dicks Last Resort Restaurant, Boston, MA
- Glynn Hospitality Group, Boston, MA – Plenty of bars, restaurants and entertainment venues under this group.
- Cheesecake Factory, Boston, MA
New York City
New York is possibly the most famous city in the world. Known for it’s stunning skyline and incredibly diverse city life! Flying into either JFK or Newark airport, New York is very accessible. New York City is divided into 5 boroughs, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, The Bronx and Manhattan. Although this is one of the biggest cities in the world, the subway system makes anywhere in the city only about a 30-40-minute journey maximum. So, if you get a Job in Manhattan and find accommodation in Queens, don’t worry! So long as you’re on the subway line, you’ll be able to get around easy.
*Look for bigger department stores, restaurant chains and tourist areas*
Companies to search when looking for your summer job in New York City
- Applebee’s Neighborhood Bar and Grill
- Macy’s, Century 21, Barney’s
- Hilton, Marriott
- Luna Park – Coney Island Theme Park, only opens in summer months
- The Bicycle Planet, Central Park Wheels, Liberty Cycles
San Diego may be the second largest city in California, but it doesn’t act like one. Surfing, beaches, sun, laid back attitude are all terms used to describe this beautiful city. That’s probably why us Irish flock there in our thousands each summer! Undeniably a great spot to spend your summer!
*Theme Parks and beach side businesses. *
Companies to search when looking for your summer job in San Diego
- Sea World
- Bike Revolution, Mission Beach Rentals, Wheel Fun Rentals –
- Phil’s BBQ Restaurant
- Adventure Water Sports, Mission Bay.
San Francisco is a great spot to spend your J1 in. This city hosts a serious abundance of seasonal jobs. Along the wharf is a tourist hot spot each summer. San Francisco is the perfect city for a culture hungry student. The people of San Francisco celebrates the cities differences by making sure they are the best thing about the city. The Castro district is teeming with American civil rights history, the tech-savvy city life, or just sitting back in Mission Park and taking in all the sights of the bay in your free time, it’s a city not to be missed.
*San Francisco Bay is a massive tourist spot during the summer months. Look for restaurants, shops and tour operators along the piers and bay area. *
Companies to search when looking for your summer job in San Francisco
- Blue and Gold Fleet, San Francisco Whale Tours, Alcatraz Combo Tours
- Bay City Bike Rentals, San Francisco Bicycles Rentals
- Denney’s, Panera Bread, Chipotle, Hard Rock Café
Like New York City, LA is a city with 5 different neighbourhoods, Hollywood, Downtown, West Side, The Valley and Beach Cities (Venice Beach/ Santa Monica). The difference is Los Angeles is surrounded by amazing natural scenery. The Hollywood Hills, Venice Beach, Santa Monica Pier, the city is a mash up of San Diego in attitude and New York in size. Venice, Santa Monica are almost all tourists in the summer months which means a lot of seasonal jobs. A lot of theme parks and Studios who hire tour guides regularly.
*Studios and theme parks are great places to look. By the beach, with bike and boat rentals being a large industry during the summer months. *
Companies to search when looking for your summer job in Los Angeles
- Universal Studios, Warner Bros Studios, Paramount Studios
- Venice Beach Station Rentals, Santa Monica Beach Rentals, Perry’s Café and Beach Rentals
- The Grove – Outdoor mall with major retailers and large restaurants and cafés – H&M, Forever 21, Top Shop, Cheesecake Factory, Pinkberry, The Coffee Bean.
- LA’s Original Farmers Market
The perfect spot for any J1 goer. Myrtle Beach is a summer resort that’s population increases tenfold during the summer months. A 60-mile-long string of beaches dotted with beachfront boardwalks, golf courses and amusement parks.
*Most of jobs in hospitality and retail here are seasonal, so look at the hotels, resorts and retail along the boardwalks. *
Companies to search when looking for your summer job in Myrtle Beach
- Senor Frogs, Medieval Times, The Melting Pot, Friendly’s
- Captain Hooks Adventure Golf, Myrtle Beach Sky Wheel, Family Kingdom Amusement Park
- Myrtle Beach Segway, Beach Bike Shop, Atlantic Water Sports
One of the most underrated J1 cities by far. A stunning city that lies on the banks of Lake Michigan. Covered in culture, music and great food, Chicago as it all. Between the months of March and September Chicago hosts over 150 music festivals, there’s always something happening! Which means plenty of seasonal jobs up for grabs!
* Look in areas near to Navy Pier. *
Companies to search when looking for your summer job in Chicago
- Bubba Gump Shrimp Restaurant
- Spirit Harbour Cruises, Chicago First Lady Cruises, Tall Ship Windy Cruises
- 360 Chicago
- Zara, Forever 21, Gap, Ugg, Levi.
- Timothy O’Toole’s Pub, D4 Irish Pub and Café, Lizzy McNeill Irish Bar – Over 21
Known as a party city with beautiful beaches and a lavish lifestyle. Miami is becoming more and more popular for J1 students to spend their summers. South Beach is the best place to start job hunting, it is built on tourism, with tonnes of hotels, restaurants, and nightclubs all along the beach. No matter where you are, you’re never too far from a beach and places like Orlando and The Everglades only a bus ride away, you’ll never be stuck for something to do on your days off.
* Head to the beach! Hotels with beach clubs and restaurants will be your best chances of getting a seasonal job. *
Companies to search when looking for your summer job in Miami
- Sugar Factory, TGI Fridays, Nikki Beach, Senor Frogs.
- Citi Bike Rentals
- Shore South Beach Club, The Raleigh, Delano South Beach